What are “Ideas” on Giftovus?
“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”
- George Bernard Shaw
The conversation on Giftovus is organized around what we call “Ideas”. Ideas are buckets for collecting and discussing what product to get. Ideas can be formed from very short thoughts on what someone thinks the person would like – “a new bicycle” for example.
When an Idea is first created on Giftovus, it looks like this:
Ideas are powerful:
- They last a really, really long time. We have seen Ideas become gifts 9 months or more after they were first posted to Giftovus. Products that you see in the store typically are on sale for about 6 months and then they are replaced with a new version. If you capture your Ideas instead, they will last a lot longer – “a new bike” is often as good of a gift idea a year from now as it is today. If you start collecting little Ideas all year long, you would be a solid gift hero come December.
- They are gifts worth taking the time to create. In general, most people want to give a real gift and are willing to put some time and personality into the gift. But without knowing where to start, searching for a gift feels like a waste of time. By starting with Ideas, you can quickly discuss and figure out what is worth spending your time on.
- They frame and contain the conversation. Ideas provide a place to store various products and to have a deeper conversation that will eventually turn the Idea into a gift (or several gifts). Click on the Idea to learn more.
This is what an Idea looks like as it is being turned into a gift:
How Ideas become gifts:
- Add a few Options. You can add an infinite number of products from any website into the Idea page. We call those “Options”. The Options can be discussed and compared. Eventually, you’ll want to tell the group which one you are going to give!
- Ask for some help. You can request help from the group on your Idea. This is great if you need a little more information, like their size, or if you just need a second opinion.
- Make a decision. Click the claim button to indicate to the group that you will be buying the item as a gift. Sometimes, an Idea can contain multiple Options that are all still valid gifts. You or other people can still claim them.
When you claim a gift Option within an Idea, we indicate that on the Idea tile in the main view like this:
It’s important to claim your Option because:
- It lets other people know. This helps everyone avoid duplicate duplicate gifts.
- It can inspire their own gifts. Knowing what someone is getting is very helpful. Other people can use that to inspire their own gifts. For example, if you gave someone a bike, perhaps someone else will give a helmet or a bell for the bike.
- It “closes” the Idea. People may still go into the Idea and claim other items, but in most cases it closes out the Idea and let’s people know.
You may have heard the old saying, “it’s the thought that counts.” At Giftovus, it’s the Idea that counts…
Brian & The Giftovus Team